Zengaku is a blend between Sudoku and Kakuro puzzles and this form of puzzle was featured in the 2004 World Puzzle Federation Qualifiers.
The rules are simple:
– Each empty box needs to be filled with a digit from 1 to 9
– Each digit will occur only ONCE in each row and each column
– Boxes that have a circle between them have consecutive digits
– Likewise, boxes that do NOT have a circle between them do NOT have consecutive digits
– Columns must total the number above them, while rows must total the number on their left
There is a daily puzzle available on the Zengaku website and there is also a trial version of Zengaku available that includes 30 Zengaku puzzles. For a US$ 15 you can have the full version with unlimited puzzles.
In the software version it is really handy to keep track of what numbers are possible solutions for a box. Then by process of elimination you can slowly reduce the possibilities until you are left with the answer. There is no guessing if don’t want to. Happy Puzzling!
Update : Zengaku for iPhone